3 teaspoons vegemite
1 and a half cups plain flour
1-2 teaspoons water
250g light Philly or cottage cheese
2 teaspoons Vegemite
One quarter of a cup of parsley
One quarter of a cup of grated parmesan
1 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch black pepper
250g pkt frozen spinach (thawed)
1. Use a food processor to combine butter, vegemite and plain flour until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add egg and water if required to form a smooth dough.
3. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
4. Roll out dough on a lightly floured board.
5. Cut out rounds and place in flan tins.
1. Cream Philly or cottage cheese with eggs and Vegemite with an electric beater.
2. Add parsley, grated parmesan, nutmeg, pinch black pepper and thawed spinach. Mix well.
Add filling to pastry and bake in an electric oven 200 celsius for 20-25 minutes, or until firm in the centre.
Thanks to Colleen in Doha for this one!
Select own quantity of:
1. Grate cheese.
2. Finely chop bacon.
3. Mixed with a beaten egg.
4. Pour onto bread and grill until crisp.
5. Cut into fingers and serve!
Thanks to Faye in Sweden for this one!
Mini Edam Quiches
1 pkt puff pastry (the ready rolled one)
125g edam, grated
125g ham, diced
3 tbsp cream
1 tbsp french mustard
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1. Cut out 24 circles of pastry (use a glass about 6 cm in
diameter). Press into patty tins.
2. Combine remaining ingredients, spoon into pastry cases and bake in a hot oven (say 230 degrees celsius) for 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown.
Hot Chicken Turnovers
Substitute a filling of a small cooked chicken - diced, 2 tsp butter, 1 tsp chopped parsley, a little cream, salt and pepper. Then cut rounds of pastry and spoon on filling (about 1 tsp) and fold over to form a pasty shape, sealing the edges with a fork and glazing the surface with egg.
Mushroom Chicken Rolls
1 cup shredded cooked chicken, about a quarter of a cup of diced ham, 125g chopped mushrooms (sauteed in butter and drained), 2 tsp lemon juice and half a cup of cream cheese. Form into sausage roll shapes.
Beat together 4 eggs, add 3 finely chopped onions, 5
rashers bacon, chopped and 500g grated cheese. Lay out the pastry and spread liberally (In Australia, this was enough for 5 sheets of that ready rolled puff pastry). Roll up pastry sheets like a swiss roll, moistening the edge with a
little milk. Cut each roll into 14 pieces. Bake on greased oven tray at 210 degrees celsius for 20 minutes.
Thanks to Marie in Sweden for this one!
1 medium sized onion
3 medium sized potatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
2 tblspns plain flour
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Vegetable oil for frying (even better with lard or dripping)
1. Grate potatoes and onion into a large bowl and drain excess fluid.
2. Beat eggs and add flour, lemon juice, salt and pepper to make a batter.
3. Add batter to potato and onion mix, should be a gluggy consistency.
4. Spoon dessert spoon sized dollops of mixture into hot oiled (or larded or dripping-ed) pan. Mixture should be no thicker than about 2 cm.
5. Fry until golden brown on both sides, drain on paper.
Thanks to me (webmaster) in Norway for this one!
120 g butter, softened
half tsp french mustard
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tbsp vinegar
250 g tasty cheese
60 g walnuts, chopped
1. Combine butter, mustard, vinegar and cayenne.
2. Add cheese then stir in walnuts.
3. Shape into a round and refrigerate.
Serve at room temperature with crackers or crisp, raw vegetables.
Thanks to Marie in Sweden for this one!
1 cup self raising flour
Half a cup of oil
1 large onion
3 rashers of bacon
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Grate unpeeled zucchini coarsely, finely chop onion and bacon.
2. Combine zucchini,onion,bacon,cheese,flour,oil and beaten eggs.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Pour into well greased pie dish and bake in moderate oven(180 degrees) for 30-40 minutes or until browned.
Can be served hot or cold , but don't be over generous with the oil or it can end up a bit gluggy. Keeps well. Can be made a day ahead.
Thanks to Christine from Melbourne, Australia for this one!